Library 101 - EA
EXPLICIT CONTENT BELOW
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED
Public school libraries, partially due to their smaller size, cannot carry every book ever written. The idea is that the book titles in school libraries are carefully curated to include educational material of differing viewpoints to inspire both a love of learning and reading.
Most parents agree that school library material should be age-appropriate also. Hence why we don't have a section containing Playboy or Hustler magazines, and why the internet is restricted at schools to allow only age-appropriate content.
So, are we book banners?
Here's what we are NOT doing:
- We are NOT telling authors to stop publishing their work
- We are NOT contacting public (non-school) libraries to censor their selections
- We are NOT asking retailers to stop selling these books
- We are NOT concerned with classic titles that the media wants you to believe (ie Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingboard etc etc)
Here's what we ARE doing:
- We ARE asking districts to have a clear review process for books with extreme content (not all do)
- We ARE seeking the titles with the most explicit content (graphics with images of sex etc) to be removed from school libraries OR at least placed in a restricted area that needs parental consent
- We ARE proposing that "explicit content" stickers be placed on covers so parents have more knowledge of content (like cd's)
- We ARE proposing an opt-in policy that would allow parents who want their child to access these books full access
- We ARE working nationally to have a book-rating system that would give parents to make educated decisions
What are we so concerned about?
The titles below have varying degrees of obscene material including but not limited to:
- Graphics showing sex acts (not in a medical/educational way)
- Extreme profanity
- Detailed descriptions of masturbation
- Oral, anal & vaginal sex
- Forced oral sex
- Rape & sexual assault
- Teaching kids how to use sex apps, and what websites to use
East Aurora District
The following titles have been found using the online library search tool, Go Follet. This information is accurate as of March 2023.
Clicking the title links will bring you to a page of BookLooks.org that shows the explicit content we are concerned about.
|Burned, Crank, Smoke, Identical, Perfect, Tilt
|The Bluest Eye
|The Perks of Being A Wallflower
|This One Summer
|Half of A Yellow Sun
This book contains obscene excerpts involving sexual assault/battery; sexual activities; sexual nudity; profanity; and drug use
He covered my mouth again. He kneed me in the back of my legs so that I would fall down. "You don't get it, bitch. I'll kill you. I've got a knife. I'll kill you." He released his grip on my mouth again and I fell, screaming, on the brick path. He straddled me and kicked me in the side.
"Please don't do this, please," I said. "Nice white titties," he said. And the words made me give them up, lobbing off each part of my body as he claimed ownership- the mouth, the tongue, my
"you're the worst bitch I ever done this to," he said.
…"I'm a foster child," I said. "I don't even know who my parents are. Please don’t
do this. I'm a virgin," I said. "Lie down." I did. Shaking, I crawled over and lay face up against the cold ground. He pulled my underpants off me roughly and budled them into his hand. He threw them away from me and into a corner where I lost sight of them. I watched him as he unzipped his pants and let them fall around his ankles.
He lay down on top of me and started humping. …He worked away on me, reaching down to work with his penis. I stared right into his eyes. I was too afraid not to. He called me bitch. He told me I was dry. "I'm sorry," I said- I never stopped apologizing. "I'm a virgin," I said. "Stop looking at me," he said. "Shut your eyes. Stop shaking." "I can't." "Stop it or you'll be sorry.